Bipolar Ad

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Bipolar Diet - Is There One?

Honestly, I eat terribly. I'm addicted to soda and junk food. It's the burn of the carbonation I enjoy with soda. And half off Easter candy sales the day after Easter are my latest weakness. After any holiday the next day stores go half off on holiday stuff, including candy. It's hard for me to turn down a bargain. Then I have a stockpile of candy, which I then plop down on my love seat and methodically eat.

I recently watched Forks Over Knives, a documentary about the vegan lifestyle. This diet has been proven to reverse and cures different diseases. It was a real eye opener. Here a link to get more details: Forks Over Knives

I'm going to try the diet as best I can. I've switched to vegan burgers and bacon, both of which taste great. I use Morningstar brand. Check out their products here: Morningstar I've cut out red meat so far, I'm finding it really hard to cut out dairy. I developed severe lactose intolerance in college, so I know I can live without dairy. I had a colonoscopy on my 22nd birthday where they found and removed some polyps. After they were removed I could eat normally again. Having dairy eliminated and then return to my diet, I really don't want to let it slip away again, lol.

I've begun to look into diets that may help alleviate and lessen bipolar symptoms. Apparently there is no set recommended diet to follow. However, there are tips and supplements some think may help decrease your bipolar symptoms.

Some research suggests that getting more omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil is linked to greater volume in areas of the brain. In particular, these areas are related to mood and behavior. While research is still ongoing, studies have found that they lessen stress and aid in focusing. If you're a vegetarian or vegan looking for possible benefits of fish oil, go with nuts. Walnuts, flaxseed, and canola oil contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is converted to omega-3 fatty acid in the body.
Source
Getting only moderate amounts of caffeine and not stopping caffeine use abruptly is highly recommended. I know from my personal experience while I was hospitalized and while I was in foster care we were never allowed to have caffeine. Too much can make you overly anxious and counteract any anxiety medications you may be taking. It can also disrupt sleep patterns.

In addition to lowering caffeine, it's important to avoid high-fat meals with some bipolar medications. High-fat meals may delay the time it takes for some bipolar medications to take effect.

What about booze?
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, people with bipolar disorder are five times more likely to develop alcohol misuse and dependence than the rest of the population. The link between bipolar disorder and substance abuse is explosive. Alcohol is a leading trigger of depressive episodes in many people who are genetically vulnerable for depression or bipolar disorder.

Personally, I do enjoy a few drinks when I go out with friends. I have found that it is very difficult for me to handle hard liquor, but I can tolerate a few glasses of wine or a few beers. I try to always keep Advil on me because as soon as I stop drinking I begin to feel the effects of a hangover, including the pounding headache. It sucks.

Most importantly check with your doctor before making any changes to your diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment