Bipolar Ad

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Kindling Theory of Bipolar Disorder

The "kindling effect" or "kindling theory" of bipolar disorder is one of the proposed theories that explains bipolar disorder.

According to the "kindling" hypothesis, when people who are genetically predisposed toward bipolar disorder experience stressful events,  the amount of stress required to bring about a change in mood becomes progressively lower, until the episodes eventually start (and recur) spontaneously. 

The term kindling is appropriate because the process bears similarity to the process of setting a log on fire. On its own, a log is not quick to burn. However, by surrounding the log with more easily combustible materials, the log soon catches fire. Eventually, once the log has kindled, it will continuously burn without any help, and will be harder to put out. Source

Dr. Robert M. Post of the National Institute of Mental Health (USA) is credited with first applying the kindling model to bipolar disorder (NARSAD). Demitri and Janice Papolos, in their excellent book The Bipolar Child, describe this model as follows:
    ... initial periods of cycling may begin with an environmental stressor, but if the cycles continue or occur unchecked, the brain becomes kindled or sensitized - pathways inside the central nervous system are reinforced so to speak - and future episodes of depression, hypomania, or mania will occur by themselves (independently of an outside stimulus), with greater and greater frequency.
Thus, to put it simply, brain cells that have been involved in an episode once are more likely to do so again, and more cells will become sensitized over time. This theory has been borne out by some research observations. For example, "there is evidence that the more mood episodes a person has, the harder it is to treat each subsequent episode..." thus taking the kindling analogy one step further: that a fire which has spread is harder to put out (Expert Consensus, 1997).

In addition, it has been shown that substances such as cocaine and alcohol have their own kindling effects which can contribute to bipolar kindling. In fact, it was the knowledge that cocaine causes seizures that led Dr. Post to connect kindling in epilepsy with mood disorders, after he had studied the unexpected effects of cocaine on severely depressed patients (NARSAD).

A study led by Dr. Joseph Goldberg found that patients diagnosed with both bipolar disorder and substance abuse were much more likely to respond to treatment that included an anticonvulsant/mood stabilizer, divalproex (Depakote) or carbamazepine (Tegretol), with or without Lithium, than treatment with Lithium alone. At the same time, patients who had bipolar disorder but no history of substance abuse had similar remission rates with both types of treatment. Dr. Goldberg did note that more controlled studies are needed on the role of anticonvulsants in treating dual diagnosis patients. (Substance Abuse, 2000) Source


2 comments:

  1. I am very happy to your post about on. Great information, I would like to say your post is very informative. You did a wonderful thing and should be proud of yourself for sharing. Thank you! I am very happy to your post its a great post.
    process test

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2347081986098. / website- www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete