Bipolar Ad

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

PreMenstrual Dysphoric Dirsorder (PMDD) and Bipolar

5 years ago while I was living in Grand Rapids before my bipolar diagnosis I was diagnosed by my general practitioner with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder or PMDD. When that time of the month reared it ugly head my moods would drastically change and I would become very irritable, emotional and argumentative. I knew something was wrong because these feelings that would come flooding in were not my own. This wasn't my norm. I was initially put on birth control pills to try to level my hormone levels, however the pills made my emotions take a roller coaster ride, up and down and all over the place. After a week on the pills I quit with my doctor's approval. Antidepressants were then prescribed.

PMDD symptoms include insomnia, oversleeping, binge eating, confusion, difficulty concentrating, aggression, rage, feeling of being overwhelmed, out of control, or suicidal. Sometimes PMDD gets so severe that a woman can become psychotic for a few days each month. PMDD affects somewhere between 5-10% of menstruating women. Research suggests that the cause of PMDD may be related to hormonal changes related to the menstrual cycle. Additional research suggests some similarity to that of certain mood disorders with the brain’s ability to properly regulate key neurochemicals, such as serotonin. However, no definitive research has been conducted that has shown a single cause for premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Some studies have found that bipolar symptoms worsen in relation to the menstrual cycle. What doctors do know:
  • premenstrually, women's suicide attempts and treats increase, and they're more likely to be admitted to the psych ward
  • over 2/3s of women with unipolar disorder (depressive episodes but no manic or hypomanic episodes) experience premenstrual lows
  • women who suffer from premenstrual mood changes frequently have family histories of depression
Because PMDD can produce severe mood swings doctors frequently mistake them for bipolar disorder, particularly bipolar II. If you think you may be suffering from PMDD keep a detailed calendar of your moods around and during your period. Share this information with your doctor at your next visit when you discuss your moods.

After monitoring my menstrual cycle I now know that when that time of the month gets near my breasts will become tender and when that happens I try to stay aware of my moods until my period starts. I will become easily frustrated and argumentative. I will even tell those I'm around ahead of time that I may be "moody" and to ignore it. I often find myself apologizing for my behavior frequently after my cycle starts. Just one more thing I need to be aware of regarding my body and bipolar. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment