Bipolar Ad

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook Review

Hi everyone! I apologize it's been so long since my last post. I attempted to get internet at my apartment through AT&T, and after 2 weeks of no service after the service start up date and two technicians sent out to my apartment it still wasn't fixed, so I cancelled the service. I couldn't deal with being on the phone arguing everyday for two weeks. Unfortunately they are the only internet provider for my building. Oh well, lol.

I've also been dealing a med change. I've been taken off my Risperdone and it has been replaced with Saphris. Then the doc added Effexor to the mix as well. Just started upping my dose of that per doc's orders. He claims I won't need my Kolonopin after the Effexor gets in my system. We'll see.

And on to the Review...

Here's the plot synopsis from IMDb: "After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), moves back in with his parents (Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver), and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), a mysterious girl with problems of her own."

Pat attacked his ex-wife's lover in a jealous rage and is diagnosed with bipolar after an 8 month stint in a mental institution. He is totally focused on repairing his marriage until he meets Tiffany at a dinner party. They immediately hit it off and eventually begin spending time together to help one another out. Tiffany will get a letter to his ex-wife if he helps her in a dancing competition.

I thoroughly loved this movie! I believe Bradley Cooper nailed the part of a bipolar patient. I cried several times because I could relate so well. I too would be up all hours of the night, my mind racing of all kind of thoughts. I would also say inappropriate things at inopportune times, such as the dinner party scene where Pat meets Tiffany. I enjoyed the exchange between the two at dinner when they are comparing the psych meds they have been on. I often have conversations like that with friends from support groups.

I enjoyed the development of the relationship between Pat and his parents as well. My relationship is decent with my folks now, but it was very tumultuous in the past when I was released from the psych ward each time, just as it was with Pat and his folks.

I also related to the moments when Pat is reunited with his brother and friend. They both listed off a grocery list of reasons why they couldn't go visit him while he was institutionalized. Mental illness scares a lot of people and they often don't know how to act, so they don't act at all. It hurts, but you get over it.

Silver Linings Playbook won an AFI Award in 2013 for Movie of the Year and Jennifer Lawrence won an Oscar for her performance as the leading actress. I think it deserves even more accolades. I highly recommend this film!

No comments:

Post a Comment