Bipolar Ad

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Bipolar & Changes in Weather


Hi everyone! I hope I'm finding you all in good health. I thought I might briefly touch on the topic of weather changes and how they affect those of us with bipolar. Here in Southwest Michigan we have been having a muggy heat wave in the 90s this week and I have been more agitated than ever! It seems as though the hotter the weather the nastier my mood gets. The extreme heat seems to act as a trigger of sorts for my bipolar. While trolling other bipolar message boards I found others who seem to experience the same thing. Message Board

When I had my major manic episodes in the summer of 2010 it was the beginning of May thru July. Maybe the heat and extra sunlight pushed me over the edge then, who knows. In general I love to sun myself outside whenever possible. I used to go tanning while I had the extra income from employment. Now that is an extra expense I cannot indulge in, so when the weather is right I go outside.

Others have posted online that cold, wet, dreary weather can cause them to fall into a depression. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a mood disorder common in climates with long winters, and can be helped with light therapy. It can often be a component of bipolar disorder. I myself do feel more depressed in the winter months. However the past two winters have been milder so my depression hasn’t been affected like it could have been. I have been hospitalized during the winter as well a few years ago and that was for depression and suicidal tendencies. Seems as though the weather does affect my mood. Source

The bottom line is many many things can affect your bipolar, including the weather. It stinks that we have to be more aware of our surroundings for triggers, but that's the hand we've been dealt. I wish you all a Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment